Is blogging on your mind? If not, it should be. In today’s internet intense environment, every small business owner is wise to find ways to actively add content to a blog or their website. Each content rich post made is a signal to Google to point potential customers toward your website.
As most everyone knows, blogging is an important marketing tool that helps to grow your online footprint. Sharing your expertise in regular blog posts has long been viewed by Google and other search engines as a powerful tool to establish authority in your industry.
But with recent changes made by Google in search algorithms (the criteria used to help search engines rank your websites), blogging is even more important than ever.
On April 2, WBOC members and guests had a great opportunity to learn how to blog better from top notch blogger and online maven Lauren Greutman of IamTHATlady.com.
In a few short years Lauren, who is mom to four youngsters and recently hired her husband away from his corporate America job to work full time with Iamthatlady.com, has grown a sizable online following by blogging about her love for helping families live within their means through couponing and finding great deals.
Today, Lauren has more than 30,000 followers on her blog and social media sites, and makes regular appearances on local and even national TV to promote ‘enjoying life on a budget’.
Lauren shared ideas for successful blogging by applying these key principals to gain a loyal following:
•Set up your blog on a well known blogging platform: WordPress, Blogger, Blogspot are a few good ones to consider. Squarespace is a popular free blog platform
• Connect the blog to your website for continuity.
• Delegate tasks others can do better. For example: If you don’t have web design skills, hire a graphic designer to give your blog a professional look. Make sure your blog is attractive and mirrors your brand.
• Attract people to your blog with social media posts. A top notch blog will draw viewers into your story, making them want to be a part of your online community.
• Convert viewers to buyers by offering something free. Create an How to….guide, a resource list, or offer Best Tips. The key is to provide your viewers a way to do something better.
• ‘Close’ the deal – whether a phone call, email inquiry or purchase – by acknowledging your viewer with a follow up email thanking them for joining your blog community
• Helping your customers – not selling – is the best way to approach posting content on your blog.
With so much information to cover and a ton of great knowledge to share, the presentation motivated many questions.
To help WBOC members become more familiar with blogging, Lauren has developed a series of Social Media/Blogging packages that review specific website and social media accounts, and will give ideas for how to grow your online presence through blogging. For more information, you can contact Lauren at firstname.lastname@example.org . Learn more about iamthatlady.com here.